Sunday, September 28, 2008

A Free Toy

I don't know what's normal, but ever since Smacky's birth, her belly button has stuck out. It makes a crackling sound when I push it in, which amuses me, but I'm a responsible grownup and I don't play with it very often. (Not more than 2-3 times a day, that is.)

Recently, upon the advice of my mom and a nurse I queried, we visited our doctor, who said that her belly button is, indeed, herniated.

Most of them right themselves within a couple of years, she said, and the crackling sound you hear is her intestines poking into her belly button.

Ew, I thought, and vowed to stop playing with my baby's intestines, even if they were a fun and accessible toy.


Above is a photograph of Smacky's protruding belly button, and, by proxy, her crying face. She's not crying because she's in pain, gentle reader; she's simply overly tired (it being 11am, and past time for her morning nap) and she's fighting it as valiantly as she fights any injustice that she takes up as her cause.

No comments: